Friday, July 17, 2009

Mele Songwriter's Workshop and Magic

I spent the weekend of July 10-12th on Oahu attending the First Annual Mele Songwriter’s Workshop. Melinda Carroll, Amy Chang and I are a part of a woman's songwriting circle on Maui and we made the journey together. ASCAP was one of the sponsors and Membership VP Dan Keen sums up perfectly the feelings that compelled me to attend.
“By participating in this workshop, you are honoring the creative gifts you have been given. You are acting on your desire to matter. We respect your desire to use your talent to create music that makes a difference.”
(Melinda, Manu, Amy, Brother Noland and I)

The songwriters who were there to share their wisdom and encouragement were some of the best in the industry. Craig Wiseman topped the list as one of today’s most celebrated songwriters being ASCAP’s songwriter of the year in 2003, 2005 and 2007. His wife KK
is a minister and led us through one of the most inspirational church services I’ve ever attended because it was designed specifically for songwriters! Ruby Amanfu is an awe-inspiring woman who’s song “Heaven is my Home” is part of the soundtrack for “The Secret Life of Bees.” Dennis Matkosky is best know for his world reknown hit “Maniac” from the movie “Dirty Dancing.” Adam Watts and Any Dodd are two major songwriters who are at the center of Disney music. Brother Noland and Manu Boyd from Hookena made up the Hawaiian contingency of songwriters. There really is no way to describe the quality of the teaching and the huge presence of heart that these presenters poured out over three days.

A very magical moment also happened for me when my new song, "Ua Ola Loko I Ke Aloha" was chosen as one of ten original songs performed by the participants for a special showcase on Saturday night.

My euphoria upon arriving home on Sunday was tested immediately upon getting an email explaining that I would no longer have my Tommy Bahama’s gig on Monday nights after August 1. I felt a little ungrounded setting up for my gig the next day, knowing it would be one of the last. I had heard that Craig and KK Wiseman were coming to Maui after the workshop and had an earlier premonition that maybe I would see them. Fast forward to manifestation. I look up and they are both seated at a table right in front of me. No accidents in this world! Not only was I able to make a connection and let them know personally how much I appreciated both of them, but more miracles ensued. After the Wisemans drove halfway to Hana and then up to Haleakala on Tuesday, they invited Keith and I to join them for pupus and drinks at the Kula Lodge. We had a great time and I just know that being in the energy field of one of the best songwriters in the world has blessed me beyond measure.

One of the biggest blessings was realizing the power of our emotions and our thoughts in bringing events and people into our lives. On the morning of the magic, I had written a song before I even got out of bed. The song was about misfortunes and people losing homes and jobs etc. But the positive inspiring chorus was totally KK and Craig Wiseman. It was KK’s imagery of hands quietly held up and moving towards heaven and the angels and Craig’s repeated phrase over the weekend that urged us to always make a door in any wall that appeared to be in our way.

"Even empty hands have a lot to be grateful for
Hold them up to the sky to catch the blessing angels pour
In every wall you run into, there’s just bound to be a door
a brand new door, opening to more".

Copyright © Bentley Kalaway 2009

No comments: