Sunday, July 19, 2009

Queen of the Night

The Queen of the night takes over my tropical paradise on special summer evenings without warning. Night blooming jasmine has invaded the land and spread everywhere. This green, invasive, fast growing plant lines the driveway and forms thick impassable hedges, seeming quite commonplace and ordinary.

Like all of us, the jasmine has her moments of splendor. She will never reveal herself fully in the daytime. Her majesty comes when she releases her romantic fragrance in the evening, perfuming the mountainside with spicy vanilla. She is anything but subtle. Small tubular pale yellow flowers trumpet an aphrodisiac, sending strong notes to dominate the air waves. On those mesmerizing moonlit nights, the queen announces herself with a swift intoxicating jolt.

I am only too happy to take her majesty in as she sends her sultry, damp, exotic smell wafting through my open bedroom window. Reminding me of the way my mother smelled to me as a child when she and my father had a special date, life has dressed up to go out for the evening.


Copyright © Bentley Kalaway 2009

No comments: